打印 上一文章 下一文章

[攝影美圖] In these sad times

[複製網址]

‘Late last night—too late to trouble you with the news—there came a post from the reverend deacon Leander. He disembarked yesterday at Salernum, and, after brief repose, hopes to visit us. Your Amiability will, I am sure, welcome his coming.’

‘Assuredly,’ answered Maximus, bending his head, whilst his eyes watched the distant sail. ‘Whence comes he?’

‘From Sicily. We shall learn, I dare say, the business which took him there,’ added Petronilla, with a self-satisfied softening of her lips. ‘The deacon is wont to talk freely with me of whatever concerns the interests of our holy Church, even as I think you remember, has now and then deigned—though I know not how I have deserved such honour—to ask, I dare not say my counsel, but my humble thoughts on this or that. I think we may expect him before morning. The day will not be too warm for travel.’

Maximus wore an anxious look, and spoke after hesitation.

‘Will his reverend leisure permit him to pass more than one day with us?’

‘Earnestly I hope so. You, beyond doubt, dear lord, my brother, will desire long privacy with the holy man. His coming at this time is plainly of Heaven’s direction.’

‘Lady sister,’ answered Maximus, with the faintest smile on his sad features, ‘I would not willingly rob you of a moment’s conference with the good deacon. My own business with him is soon despatched. I would fain be assured of burial in the Temple of Probus where sleep our ancestors.’

‘Of that,’ replied Petronilla, solemnly and not unkindly, ‘doubt not for a moment. Your body shall lie there, by the blessed Peter’s sanctuary, and your tomb be honoured among those of the greatest of our blood. But there is another honour that I covet for you, an honour above all that the world can bestow.  Maximus, the Church has need of strengthening. You have no children—’

A glance from the listener checked her, and, before she could resume, Maximus interposed in a low voice:

‘I have yet a daughter.’

‘A daughter?’ exclaimed Petronilla, troubled, confused, scarce subduing indignation.

‘It is better I should tell you,’ continued her brother, with some sternness, resulting from the efforts to command himself, ‘that Basil is gone to Cumae to see Aurelia, and, if it may be, to lead her to me. Perhaps even now’—he pointed to the sea—‘they are on the way hither. Let us not speak of it, Petronilla,’ he added in a firmer tone. ‘It is my will; that must suffice. Of you I ask nothing save silence.’

收藏收藏 推 噓
您需要登錄後才可以回文 登錄 | 註冊

本版透可值規則

快速回覆 返回頂部 返回列表